Patients with braces should brush after each meal.
- Put a small portion of toothpaste on your toothbrush.
- Brush near the gumline using small circular motions. You should spend around 10 seconds on each tooth.
- Take the time to brush each tooth gently and slowly
- Angle the brush up when brushing brackets and wires on the lower teeth, and angle down when cleaning the upper teeth. Also, take the time to clean and remove bacteria from the tongue and roof of the mouth.
Floss each night after brushing to remove plaque and food debris.
- Use waxed floss and thread it between the teeth, underneath the wire of the braces.
- Take the floss and move it up and down between the teeth, carefully avoiding the brackets and wires.
- Repeat throughout the gumline and between each tooth.